Saturday, June 28, 2014

Girls Camp, Catalina Style

I have never worked so hard for any calling (except as a missionary) as I did preparing for girls camp. Taking 30 people to an island really stressed me out. I had good help, but at times did feel alone with the responsibility. But, once we got there, I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. This was by far the favorite activity I have ever done as a Young Women leader.
I had made arrangements for us to volunteer with the Catalina Conservancy, but their truck broke down. We improvised and picked up trash at a local beach. The girls found some super gross stuff including a dead seal, dead lobster, dead birds. They did a great job with minimal complaining. We rewarded them with overpriced sodas at the store.


Whip-its.

Ashley and Charlotte learned about 10 different ways to make hearts with their bodies. This was my favorite.
Our YCLs led music this night. They were the best 10 leaders ever. Love them so much.


Darcy found these rocks while snorkeling and stuffed them in her wetsuit because she loved their shape so much. They turned out pretty cute.


More Men! More Men! Sing it again!

Darcy made these super cute camp books. My secret sister bought me the cute buffalo and I gave the girls the cute nautical charms for their raw hides. The camp book had our daily schedule, camp chore assignments and our camp songs in it.
Brisa Del Mar ended up being the best spot ever. Eating at this huge gathering place right next to the water was just incredible.

The ride back home.

Some of the Spanish branch girls on the ferry ride there. A couple of them had never even been to a beach! They all were super adventurous and even jumped off the 20 foot cliff Marty Bramwell helped the girls go off. I went off too, but was more nervous than any of the girls.


Our campsite came with 4 kayaks that really got used.

We had an activity rotation: kayaking, snorkeling, disc golf, paddle boarding.

Paddle boarding is really fun, but only with no wind. A few of our girls got swept off in the sea and had to be rescued.

Getting on paddle boards for the first time in our lives. Such an adventure!

The girls really got the hang of it quickly.

Ready to snorkel!

It's not Hawaii, but the best snorkeling in California for sure.

One of my favorite things was kayaking through this cave. It is so cool!

Me and the leaders, except for Dana Hamson who stayed behind with McKenzie who has a hurt foot. I love this bunch! Ray Carepenter decided to come at the last minute and really had a great time. Loved having him with us.



This is the view from the top of our hike. Probably one of the hardest hikes these girls have ever done. We went up the Banning House road then turned right to the Cat Harbor Overlook.

Our whole crew on Thursday night just before testimony meeting. They knew I was disappointed that we hadn't seen any buffalo, so they bought me this ridiculous buffalo hat. I love it so much!

No comments: